What is ECHO (The ECHO)?
Established in 1896, The ECHO is the official school newspaper of Tenafly High School. The mission of The ECHO to produce a school newspaper that serves the THS community. Additionally, we strive to provide staff members with the full and real-world experiences involved in running a newspaper (incl. fundraising, editorial decisions, layout decisions, distribution, and more).
The ECHO staff meets daily during last meeting. The editor(s)-in-chief run(s) the daily meetings -- and is (are) in charge of organizational leadership. The advisor helps the student leaders and all staffers, but this is a student-run organization and not a class.Current Activities
In a time of constant change, ECHO changes every year to adapt to new realities; in this way, ECHO is a very real-world learning experience, one that offers students opportunities to problem-solve, collaborate, invent and lead.
The staff is diverse but forms -- and maintains -- a tight community. Across the years, staff members are invited to take on leadership roles -- and the staff changes leadership roles from year to year based upon the abilities and interests of the group -- and the goals the group sets. Most students stay on the ECHO staff for multiple years -- often across all four years of high school; in this way, ECHO is an inextricable part of their high school experience.
In addition to "full-time staffers," ECHO is also seeking -- and inviting -- freelancers. See Mrs. Maloney if you would like to write articles, to start a column, to take pictures, to provide graphics, to create crosswords, or if you would in any other way like to contribute to ECHO, The Newspaper of Tenafly High School.
1. daily meetings at which members learn, contribute, share
2. organizational change to meet opportunities and demands
3. continued cultivation of freelance writers
4. creation of multiple issues that engage our readership
5. maintenance of fiscal health (healthy budget)
6. study of award-winning newspapers; efforts to continue ongoing path of improvement
7. working with THS staff to propose -- and perhaps to implement (if approved) -- and online version of ECHO
This Year's Goals
1. to continue to produce a quality newspaper
2. to continue to explore -- and to work toward -- an online platform for sharing THS news
3. to maintain a strong community atmosphere in which all members are offered chances to serve, to grow and to lead
4. to explore opportunities for students to participate in field trips, contests and other experiences that deepen their journalistic knowledge, experience and skills
Editor Application -- for 2016-2017
Completed application is due Friday, March 18, 2016.
No "Files" exist(s)
No "Homework" exist(s)